9K views

We bought 6 gallons of the product and the 20 year old deck looked pretty darn good...until after winter. The product is blistering and peeling big time off the deck and the yard is a mess.

I've got a deck now that looks awful and dried deck over paint strips and chips all over my yard. I will never, ever buy another Behr product again and I will tell all my friends to never buy a Behr product again.

We spent hours applying the paint and not we' re faced with either tearing the deck down or sanding the deck over off and apply a better product. This was just and awful consumer experince.

Review about: Behr Paint.

Comments

#1519230

This Behr product is pure crap in our climate. Can’t get it off.

Tried sanding with a power sander using 36 grit paper. Takes the wood down but not where oatches of the Deckover remain.

Tried Behr deck stain remover.... doesn’t touch it.There should a class action lawsuit against Behr for customers who had problem with this product!

I also bought Behr deck over and thought it was good .. initially.

They must not have tested this absolute garbage. I will never by any type of Behr product and it has actually steered me away from shopping at Home Depot.

The price that this product cost would lead a consumer to believe that you may get some years not months of coverage.I wouldn’t know since I haven’t been back to HD but I hope they are smart enough to remove this terrible stuff from their shelves. Don’t Buy Behr!!!

This stuff peels even with proper prep instructions done, it's a nightmare we've started scraping little by little,. Looks like we will be done removing this in ten years. And..they still sell this stuff, unbelievable!!!

Minnesota, United States #1353637

Worst *** ever! Going on year 4 of this sh** peeling off in chunks.

We have tried everything to remove the remaining paint. Nothing works! Our deck looks horrible. Our next step is a sand blaster.

Every time I go on my deck I get pissed all over again! Definelty don't buy this *** if you live where it snows!

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada #1344469

I have the same problem just the wind blowing on it lifts it up and blows around the yard used it 3 years ago and was good last year applied it to lower deck and used the wash to the directions and in the spring lifts and peels in big pieces but the old one looks great last year must have been a bad year will never trust it again.

Oak Harbor, Washington, United States #1338162

After reading all of these comments and some of the company's responses to the issue, perhaps a class action lawsuit is in order?

Here are my observations:

I think Behr developed this product with places like Arizona and deserts in mind because in the PNW, it is nearly impossible to get a truly dry deck!

What ever happened to the customer being right?

Why aren't these companies LISTENING and reading these comments.

I'm not going to be buying their products anymore with poor customer service or a product that can't be used is certain locales.

Just limping my old deck along until I am ready to replace it with a MORE DURABLE product more in keeping with the area: Trex and those kinds of products come to mind....Then, all I need to worry about is pressure washing once a year. Gotta do that with the house, so???????

BEHR, instead of being defensive and blaming the customer (some of us don't have the latitude to get what you'd define as a truly dry deck ~ wood takes weeks to properly dry in my area), why don't you be PROACTIVE and develop something that works universally in all areas, instead of shrugging us off? After all, isn't that good business???

Newburgh, Indiana, United States #1334723

Yep. Same here and I am having a lot of trouble trying to remove it.

I also think it sucks I wish I knew it was garbage before I spent so much time and money on it ! Very disappointing

May as well add my two cents here. I stripped our 15 year old deck of all finishes (that's at least four layers of various stains and paints), washed it, dried it, and applied this stuff.

I made sure to follow the instructions to the letter and that the deck was dry, clean, and sanded before starting. The paint went on beautifully and looked great... for ten months or so. As soon as the first snow came, there went that beautiful finish.

As time passed it got worse and worse and we finally decided to strip it and start over. One problem--it won't come off! We've used a professional-grade power washer, a belt sander, and paint thinner/scrapers with no success! While about 60% came off, the rest is fused to the wood and taking it up is proving impossible.

This has been the worst outdoor painting experience I've had, and I will never buy a Behr product again. Just goes to show: if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

to Anonymous West Fargo, North Dakota, United States #1325902

Pittsburgh Paints Revitalize is piece of *** also. Has ruined my whole deck.

to Anonymous Kansas City, Missouri, United States #1333892

Hey there! I'm in the same boat as you down to the tee.

I got 60% of it off but agree the rest is basically fused to the boards.

What did you end up doing? Did you just paint over it again or did you replace boards entirely?

Cincinnati, Ohio, United States #1317007

Behr Deck over sucks

Wasilla, Alaska, United States #1314267

Absolutely awful product 10 percent of the product hangs on and hangs on and on burn it off? There should be a class action law suit

to Tom #1346398

Where do you go to get your money back? Who is going to pay to have this *** removed?

West Monroe, Louisiana, United States #1226384

Have the same problem. I think Behr Deckover is simply an inferior product.

It cannot hold up to sun and water.

We had the same problem. The area that was exposed to snow and direct sunlight is peeling and bubbled. Never again.

Walled Lake, Michigan, United States #1208256

Hours of hard work cleaning, applying and now hours of more hard work to remove peeling 'stain' from our deck. Behr should be ashamed of this product.

Mcdonough, Georgia, United States #1202686

My experience was exactly the same! It's a nightmare and we also have vowed to never buy a Behr product again!!! Jeanette Murphy

Newnan, Georgia, United States #1200964

I bought a 5 gallon bucket of Behr Deckover, Spent hours cleaning and applying this ***... Went out to wash the deck about a year later with just the water hose.

And it stated peeling off. Its a big mess now, and can't get it off.. The only thing I found is a hot gun and scraper that works.. That will take forever..

The more it rains and gets wet the more it peels. Does anyone know a way the get this *** off???

to Anonymous Cincinnati, Ohio, United States #1317008

you can let it peel it will take another year and it will always look like ***. I'm going with indoor outdoor carpet for the summer and I'm joining a class action lawsuit check into that.