9.5K views

We bought 6 gallons of the product and the 20 year old deck looked pretty darn good...until after winter. The product is blistering and peeling big time off the deck and the yard is a mess.

I've got a deck now that looks awful and dried deck over paint strips and chips all over my yard. I will never, ever buy another Behr product again and I will tell all my friends to never buy a Behr product again.

We spent hours applying the paint and not we' re faced with either tearing the deck down or sanding the deck over off and apply a better product. This was just and awful consumer experince.

Product or Service Mentioned: Behr Paint.

Comments

Behr DeckOver has ruined our deck and we have been trying to scrape it up where it has bubbled and cracked and every little piece that we get up has water under it and also has warped some floor boards!Type your message here

same here Brand new Deck 4 years ago , Painted with deck over peeled in one year sanded and painted again peeled again. What do I do?

I also used this product and my deck did the same thing, peeling off everywhere!

We used the Olympic brand and it did the same thing! Looks like crap chips all over the yard, sticks on shoes when wet , tracks inside on your shoes.

Just overall lousy product. Tried pressure washing to get it off the deck, got most of it off, but gonna have to get out the sanders, another pissed off consumer!

I have the same problem....applied Behr DeckOver...2 years ago,and now my deck looks like crap..peeling and cracking...not to mention rotted several places on my deck.so I started scraping it so I could at least save some of the boards....but I feel that with the warranty they have on DeckOver it was something good...not so much...now I have a disaster omon my hands...they should be responsible for the negligence of there product and replace our decks.

#1519230

This Behr product is pure crap in our climate. Can’t get it off.

Tried sanding with a power sander using 36 grit paper. Takes the wood down but not where oatches of the Deckover remain.

Tried Behr deck stain remover.... doesn’t touch it.There should a class action lawsuit against Behr for customers who had problem with this product!

to Swira6692 #1543034

I totally agree..have the same problem and now my deck looks like crap and my deck is only 6 years old and put DeckOver on my deck in 2016.

I also bought Behr deck over and thought it was good .. initially.

They must not have tested this absolute garbage. I will never by any type of Behr product and it has actually steered me away from shopping at Home Depot.

The price that this product cost would lead a consumer to believe that you may get some years not months of coverage.I wouldn’t know since I haven’t been back to HD but I hope they are smart enough to remove this terrible stuff from their shelves. Don’t Buy Behr!!!

This stuff peels even with proper prep instructions done, it's a nightmare we've started scraping little by little,. Looks like we will be done removing this in ten years. And..they still sell this stuff, unbelievable!!!

Minnesota, United States #1353637

Worst *** ever! Going on year 4 of this sh** peeling off in chunks.

We have tried everything to remove the remaining paint. Nothing works! Our deck looks horrible. Our next step is a sand blaster.

Every time I go on my deck I get pissed all over again! Definelty don't buy this *** if you live where it snows!

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada #1344469

I have the same problem just the wind blowing on it lifts it up and blows around the yard used it 3 years ago and was good last year applied it to lower deck and used the wash to the directions and in the spring lifts and peels in big pieces but the old one looks great last year must have been a bad year will never trust it again.

Oak Harbor, Washington, United States #1338162

After reading all of these comments and some of the company's responses to the issue, perhaps a class action lawsuit is in order?

Here are my observations:

I think Behr developed this product with places like Arizona and deserts in mind because in the PNW, it is nearly impossible to get a truly dry deck!

What ever happened to the customer being right?

Why aren't these companies LISTENING and reading these comments.

I'm not going to be buying their products anymore with poor customer service or a product that can't be used is certain locales.

Just limping my old deck along until I am ready to replace it with a MORE DURABLE product more in keeping with the area: Trex and those kinds of products come to mind....Then, all I need to worry about is pressure washing once a year. Gotta do that with the house, so???????

BEHR, instead of being defensive and blaming the customer (some of us don't have the latitude to get what you'd define as a truly dry deck ~ wood takes weeks to properly dry in my area), why don't you be PROACTIVE and develop something that works universally in all areas, instead of shrugging us off? After all, isn't that good business???

Newburgh, Indiana, United States #1334723

Yep. Same here and I am having a lot of trouble trying to remove it.

I also think it sucks I wish I knew it was garbage before I spent so much time and money on it ! Very disappointing

May as well add my two cents here. I stripped our 15 year old deck of all finishes (that's at least four layers of various stains and paints), washed it, dried it, and applied this stuff.

I made sure to follow the instructions to the letter and that the deck was dry, clean, and sanded before starting. The paint went on beautifully and looked great... for ten months or so. As soon as the first snow came, there went that beautiful finish.

As time passed it got worse and worse and we finally decided to strip it and start over. One problem--it won't come off! We've used a professional-grade power washer, a belt sander, and paint thinner/scrapers with no success! While about 60% came off, the rest is fused to the wood and taking it up is proving impossible.

This has been the worst outdoor painting experience I've had, and I will never buy a Behr product again. Just goes to show: if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

to Anonymous West Fargo, North Dakota, United States #1325902

Pittsburgh Paints Revitalize is piece of *** also. Has ruined my whole deck.

to Anonymous Kansas City, Missouri, United States #1333892

Hey there! I'm in the same boat as you down to the tee.

I got 60% of it off but agree the rest is basically fused to the boards.

What did you end up doing? Did you just paint over it again or did you replace boards entirely?

to Anonymous #1563987

I put Deck Over on my 12 yr old (unstained) deck 5 five years ago. Looked great.

Applied more on some new boards and even recommended it to some (former) friends. New stuff peeled after year or two. Former friends deck not even that long.

Can't get it all off either, despite floor sander and laying sopping wet towels on it overnite. Must agree that replacing boards is only feasible solution.(By the way vertical spindles still look great.)

Cincinnati, Ohio, United States #1317007

Behr Deck over sucks

Wasilla, Alaska, United States #1314267

Absolutely awful product 10 percent of the product hangs on and hangs on and on burn it off? There should be a class action law suit