Behr deck over paint peels in last than 1 year.

We followed the manufacter instruction last year when we applied deck over to our old deck.The deck looked beautiful.

After this passed winter and the beginning of summer the deck began to peel. As shown in the pictures below. This is a large deck, the only area that not peeling are the railing. I don't know if I should scrap the peeling areas of the deck and reapply the paint.

The only problem I have is that I am not sure if the deck will peel again within less than a year and would have invested more into this product. I thought this product was suppose to at least last 5 years. I have invested over 100 dollars on this product that didn't last a year.

Please advise.Thank you!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Monetary loss:
Product or service
Peeling Off Paint
Review category
Household Services
review #509808

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Behr? Submit review ›
Helpful? 8 Yes 8 2 No 2
Had the same issue 24 Yes 24
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Aug 01, 2014 #849641

I have been selling paint for over 30 years and I have never seen a paint product fail as consistently as the current trend towards "deck repair" finishes. Every one I have seen applied has failed, usually after the first winter. the problem stems from the fact that they do not allow water vapor to escape from the wood. I don't have to see your deck to know that the wood itself is breaking down under the finish. The wood constantly absorbs moisture from the atmosphere during the evening and night from condensation. the following day as the temperature rises, the water tries to evaporate, and it has no where to go. So it collects under the finish and causes the wood fibers to start to rot. If you look at some of the peeled finish on the wood side, you will see tiny fibers of wood still attached. The only solution is to strip the finish, but because of the thickness of the coating it may be better to sand it off. Then use a deck brightener to take any remaining dead wood off. Prime with an oil primer specifically for decks. Then finish with a good acrylic deck stain. you may have to recoat the horizontal part of your deck every few years as the finish wears off.

6 1 Reply

Jul 19, 2014 #842949 Hephzibah, Georgia

Glad i read the reviews i was fixing to buy this stuff!

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Behr. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Behr.
Filing a new complaint about