1060 Sugarbush Dr, Ashland, OH 44805, USA

I REDID MY DECK LAST YEAR. I USED TO PAINT FOR A LIVING SO I AM EXPERIENCED.

SCRUBBED AND I MEAN SCRUBBED MY DECK TWICE WITH BLEACH AND DECK CLEANER. I CAN ASSURE YOU IT WAS CLEAN. IT HASN'T BEEN QUITE A YEAR AND I AM HAVING THIS PRODUCT COMING OFF EVERYWHERE. DON'T BUY THIS PRODUCT.

YOU WILL REGRET IT. THE DECKOVER IS PEELING CHIPPING AND FLAKING OFF EVERYWHERE. MY DECK LOOKS TERRIBLE AND NOW I AM FACED WITH HAVING TO REDO THE ENTIRE DECK. WHEN I THINK OF ALL THE WORK THAT I DID TO PREPARE AND PAINT MY DECK IT MAKES ME SICK.

I AM 66 YEARS OLD AND THIS WAS A HUGE TASK FOR ME THAT TOOK ME 3 WEEKS.

NOW I AM FACED WITH HAVING TO DO THIS ENTIRE PROJECT OVER. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT IT IS JUNK.

Product or Service Mentioned: Behr Deckover Deck Paint.

Reason of review: Not as described/ advertised.

Comments

This "problem" has been happening for going on ten years now. Any type of "elastomeric" paint applied to a horizontal wood surface is going to fail prematurely.

It is and has been a pretty well known fact in the paint industry for years. Why or how these types of deck products ever made it on the market is beyond my level of comprehension! Take a piece of plastic wrap. tape it to your deck, let it sit for two or three weeks, and look at what has happened to the wood.

It will be soaking wet! This is exactly what is happening when you put these types of deck coatings on your deck. They are 100% impermeable, just like plastic wrap! The moisture that gets in to the wood, and there WILL be moisture in the wood under ANY circumstances, has no way to evaporate so it is stuck under the finish.

It causes the finish to lose adhesion because the long term moisture exposure is causing the wood to actually rot underneath it!

You also get a buildup of the minerals and tannins the water leaches out of the wood. The sad part is that this is and has been very well known in the paint industry for decades!

I had the exact same problem! I have been a Behr customer for years and sing their praises, which is why I spent so much on DeckOver.

I am an experienced painter, know how to prep, etc. I thought maybe to paint had frozen .

Evidently thats not the problem. Just bad paint.

Behr Reviews