Lagrange, Ohio
Featured Not resolved

We built a new house & moved in at the end of October 2014. Our deck sat through the winter with no stain or sealant, it seems like the big debate nowadays, to let it sit for 6 mnth or seal it immediately???

Anyways, I normally do my homework, but got caught up in the moment when I passed the display showing how Awesome this product was! I haven't had it on there long enough to have it start peeling like most people on here, but what I do notice (right away) is that it will not wash clean. Being we built, there is a lot of mud (just got the yard seeded) we also have animals = muddy paws. You would think a hard bristled scrub brush & some mild cleaner would wash it away, not the case!

I have read other comments where ppl are experiencing the same issue : ( Overall, I am VERY disappointed with this product & would warn ppl to steer clear of it.

I am still hopeful to come across a cleaning solution that will remove the residue. These are pictures I have taken AFTER scrubbing with deck cleaner.

Product or Service Mentioned: Behr Cleaning Solution.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Behr Cons: Deckover paint, Quality of deckover paint.

Comments

With 25 years experience in cedar decking, let me add this info. If you have a cedar deck with proper care if should last 20 years or longer.

Proper care is to seal it with a deck stain, transparent or nontransparent, give it 2 coats on ALL sides, even the cut ends. The cut ends, if left unsealed will destroy a nice cedar deck. May sure the deck is DRY, no rain for a week, then give it two coats of a REALLY GOOD stain. I don't want to sell any products here, but I only use one stain cause it works.

If you are not inclined to remove every deck board & stain ALL sides & ends twice, you will be when you replace them. I use solid color stain cause I like the even look it gives.

TSP and Bleach will clean it up. Google it for amounts.

Try a second coat of paint. It worked for us.

Laura of California