I bought 10 gallons of Deckover to cover a deck of approx. 500 square feet.

Applied it in October, 2013. It looked great and I was very satisfied. The next spring, after a normal winter in Virginia, the Deckover began to peel in a small area. That small area soon grew to include every board on my deck.

I contacted the Home Depot where it was purchased and was directed to deal with Behr directly. Every time I called (and it was many times over the course of more than a year), I was given suggestions to rent a deck sander, use *** Behr provided, try a stronger *** made by a competitor, use a power washer, etc. Behr paid for all of the products used in these attempts, but I provided the labor. My deck looks absolutely terrible.

Glad I'm not selling my house soon, it would be a show stopper. I have asked for a Behr representative to take a look at the problem first hand, but they will not send anyone. I have even had a deck contractor look at it recently. He tried a *** that his paint vendor recommended, but it too was no match for Deckover.

Not sure why it so difficult to take up completely since it peels so much. At any rate, I'm not sure where to go next. Two contractors, who evidently are familiar with the product, are of the opinion that the only solution is to replace the decking. By the way, the latest technical solution offered by Behr is to cover it with another coat of Deckover.

Of course, since the old coatings are peeling, i would guess that whatever you put over it would be victims of the base ccoats peeling. Anyone have any ideas?

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I liked: Looked great at first.

I didn't like: Deckover paint, It peels off, No real solutions offered.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Oct 10, 2015.

Comments

I tried citrus paint ***, which sorta worked. The only way I was able to get almost all of the paint off was with a belt sander & 36 grit alumina zirconia sanding belts (lots of them). Thank goodness for harbor freight.

I have had EXACTLY the same experience - large peeling patches, trying to remove it with a power-washer, having some areas stick and others come up and contractors saying I have to replace the deck! I've also had EXACTLY THE SAME EXPERIENCE WITH BEHR.

After promising to help correct the problem, they've done nothing. This has been going on for 4 months! Every call to them gets a very nice man who's obviously well-practiced in promising, but not delivering. I'm going to look into a CLASS ACTION SUIT.

There are many of us who are far more than dissatisfied. We're now stuck with the expensive prospect of replacing a deck that didn't need replacing before!

bobs2015
Saginaw, Michigan, United States #1046091

Your best bet is to decrease your frustration level by replacing the deck. Not the least costly, but no doubt, at this point the best and easiest solution.

Yours is not an unusual problem and is usually caused by improper prep and/or application. I have had very good results with this very same product but I took a great deal of time and effort in preparing and then applying the Behr. I expect all the things you did only exacerbated the problem to the point where a new deck is the only solution.

It will save you tearing your hair out, in any event. Good luck.