3.3

A few years ago I painted my deck with Behr Deck over. First I washed the deck with deck wash and then sanded it completely to make sure no dirt, prior paint or stains were present.

Our deck is 40' X 45' with a 16'X 32' pool in the middle so it was a summer project. I was very satisfied with the results when completed. I used three five gallon buckets. I spent the money expecting this would be the end of constant deck painting.

The following summer I noticed a few spots that needed touch up. No problem. I purchased a gallon and touched them up still very satisfied. Last summer I noticed quite a few spots actually peeling.

I sanded the spots, feathered the pained surface around the damage and repainted. I was concerned with the lack of paint adhesion I noticed around the bare spots though This Spring there were visible peeling spots but when I went to repair it I noticed sheets of peeling paint. I was able to almost completely strip a deck board by hand as it came off in three foot sheets. I am now in the long process of completely stripping off the Deckover and filling garbage bags full of sheets of paint.

The first words out of the retailers mouth was poor preparation. This is the only excuse I won't accept. Working in the automotive business for 50 years I believe I know how to prepare a surface, which I did painfully following instructions. Newly retired a few years ago I wanted this deck properly done once and for all.

Suggestions / help?

I tried multiple times but failed to upload my pictures. If I can have an email link I will gladly send them they are very telling.

Review about: Behr Deckover Deck Paint.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Comments

I also had problems with the deck over paint, my deck is peeling like crazy!

Yup. This is exactly why Rustoleum lost their lawsuit for Restore and why there is a lawsuit against behr now.