3.0

Applied Behr Deckover 3 years ago per manufacturers instructions. Soon after, noticed cracking, bubbling, and non adhesion.

It appears moisture seeps in through the cracks and gets retained. Now I am dealing with extensive rot, especially at every deck screw penetration. A horrible nightmare has begun to replace my deck boards on what once was a nice 20 x 20 deck! This is inexcusable for a product so heavily advertised through a trusted retailer such as Home Depot.

No help from Home Depot as I was told to deal with Behr directly.

It appears Behr only may reimburse the cost of product purchased but I am up against $thousands in deck boards to replace.

This person wrote the review because of bad quality of behr paint from Behr. Reviewer claimed that he or she lost $2000 and wants Behr to offer any options to resolve the issue.

We collected other reviews about products and/or services offered by Behr for you to read. This information may help you with your purchase decision.

Comments

I had a new deck installed in 2012 and 3 yrs later in 2015, the deck was bone dry when I painted the deck, I used BEHR SOLID COLOR WATERPROOFING WOOD STAIN ALMOST $40 GAL WITH TAX. In 2016 I noticed the deck boards and balusters are rotting due to moisture, I peeled off the BEHR WATERPROOFING WOOD STAIN AND NOTICE A LOT OF MOISTURE, ONCE I PEELED OFF THE WOOD STAIN THE WOOD STARTED TO DRY OUT.

I CONTACTED BEHR PAINT, THEY TOLD ME IT'S NOT THE PAINT.

IT IS THE PAINT THAT DESTROYED MY DECK !!!! BUYERS BEWARE OF THIS BEHR WATERPROOFING WOOD STAIN.

#1319487

I bought Behr deck over & applied it 4 yrs ago- major rot!! Ahh!

I am looking at having to replace my deck! Sooo angry!

Charlotte, North Carolina, United States #1313769

I am having the same situation. We applied Behr Deck paint over a previously stained deck, and now the deck boards are crumbling and rotting away.

I believe this product is to blame, as the deck was only 5 yrs old when we applied the deck paint. Have you had any luck with Behr?

Lake Ariel, Pennsylvania, United States #1183514

I applied deck over 4 years ago and I have a deck that is over 40' long and 20' wide. Many of my deck boards are now rotted around the screw holes.

My contractor is convinced that the deck over does not allow the wood to dry out causing the rot. This was the worst mistake putting this on my deck

Same issue in Des Moines, Iowa. Roughly 3 years ago we installed this as directed, using the Behr prep/cleaner first.

All vertical boards (spindles) are great and holding their paint just ine. Anything that gets walked on is peeling horribly. Worst part started last fall and that is the rot at the end of the boards where they are screwed down.

I would definitely be interested in a class action. Terrible product, expensive too, installing this product 3 years ago has now forced me to replace my deck due to rot and safety concerns.

wolfie

I'm in exactly the same situation. I intend to go to court.

I've been advised by a lawyer to start at Small Claims Court and move on to a Class Action Suit if there's no satisfactory result.

Would you like to join me?

Exact same issue in Newport News Virginia. We applied Behr DeckOver and it has caused our decking boards to rot.

We have a claim pending with Behr. I can't get the rep to confirm or deny if they will reimburse us for the cost of the wood. They want samples of the peelings and pictures along with statements from a contractor regarding the damages. Some reviews said they paid for replacement of wood damaged by their product and others say all they will pay for is their product cost nfor you to re apply.

Which is not an option! We don't want to have to deal with this nightmare again. Our deck is 4 1/2 feet ocfdf t dhe ground, and it's very dangerous to have rotting deck boards.

Remains to be seen how Behr handles our claim.