3400 W Segerstrom Ave, Santa Ana, CA 92704, USA

About 4 years ago in the spring (2013), we applied two coats of Behr Deckover paint on our beautiful deck. The deck had been allowed to season for a year, then was treated with an oil based stain 5 years prior to the Behr coat.

We decided to try the Deckover paint when the stain began to fade. We applied as directed, and the first year noticed some mildew type dark spots developing, but since the deck gets partial shade, we simply pressure washed it the next spring. Now this winter/spring, we are seeing the edges of the boards literally rotting and crumbling away. There are so many soft areas, and open rotting spots that the deck is probably unsafe for use this summer.

It is going to cost thousands of dollars to replace all the decking because of this awful paint.

I'm sure it was the Behr paint, because after using 3 gallons of the expensive stuff, and running out about 2 feet short, we bought some regular outdoor paint in the same color to do the steps and the remainder of the deck. The wood there is perfectly sound with no rot or crumbling wood.

Product or Service Mentioned: Behr Premium Deckover Deck Paint.

Reason of review: The paint caused my deck boards to rot.

Preferred solution: I want my deck boards replaced and I want behr to pay for it!.

Behr Cons: It has ruined my deck.

Comments

Mine to Behr over deck totally caused my sect to rot water penetrated pressure treated deck a mess

I found your review after googling my problem. Zero deterioration of my deck...

used Behr deck stain/paint, and now two years later there is terrible rot on the edges of several if the boards. As I feared, I'm not the only one.

It had to be the paint. SO angry!

Same for me. This is not a good product.

We have had the same issue. We replaced the decking around our pool last summer 2018, and now it’s looking like the rest of our extensive decking needs to be replaced due to rotting caused by Behrs Deck Over.

Not the least bit happy.

First of all, we spent A LOT of money on the Deck Over, our time painting the deck and the time and money spent replacing the rotten wood caused by it. Sounds like a class-action suite needs to be filed....

Yup. Same thing with Rustoleum Restore.

That's why they got sued and lost. It's only a matter of time before the other brands get sued as well.

FYI, putting a non-permeable finish on exterior wood was never a good idea. It WILL trap moisture and cause the wood to rot, as we are seeing with ALL of these Deckover type products.