Behr - Peeling off my entire deck

231 of 343 Behr reviews

I used over 35 gallons of your Deck Over paint to cover my 14'10" x 28' deck and railings last summer.It now makes me sick to look at since it is all peeling off.

The railing, spindles, decking, ledger boards, all peeling. I bought the paint at Home Depot in Mishawaka Indiana and now I am stuck with a mess.

With the money I spent on paint and a painter to apply it I am guess the loss is $1000.00 Now it will have to be repaired even costing me more money that I don't have.Please help

Doug Ryback 574-596-6195

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Reason of review:
Not as described
Preferred solution:
Let the company propose a solution
Monetary loss:
$2000
Product or service
Behr Deck Over Paint
Review category
Building Products
review #533713

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Behr? Submit review ›
Helpful? 15 Yes 15 7 No 7
Had the same issue 71 Yes 71
231 of 343 Behr reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jul 28 #1191440 Evansville, Indiana, United States

I have had the same problem with three different properties. Works great in the shade but will not hold up when exposed to sun light. I am now trying to repair the damage by applying Kilz then painting with deckover to minimize my time and costs. Fingers crossed.
RJ - Louisville, KY

Jan 27 #1101558

We put deckover on 5 Months ago, perfect weather and dry. It started peeling In January. Since putting it on in September it has been warm up until January. Are there any class action lawsuits yet? I have seen way to many complaints.

behr arse

Nov 13, 2015 #1063588 Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada

behr is a rock solid paint i stand behind,on both legs...like a behr!!!...lol...

SBallard

Jun 07, 2015 #992119 Berryville, Arkansas, United States

We had the same problem and ours looked exactly like Doug's. Now ours is much worse with rotten boards so we have to strip it, scrap it, and replace about 50% of our deck!

4 0 Reply

May 21, 2015 #987150

I spent almost 600.00 in 2013 on deckover,huge mistake. My deck is around my pool so I have quite a mess .when I called behr they started telling me that I could rent a sander and sand the spots that were peeling and they would send me some more product and I could re-paint my deck . Yeah ok I really want to re-apply this *** on my deck again.

2 0 Reply
Lolo

Sep 15, 2014 #870234

How was the surface prepared? What was the weather like? Did you pressure wash or scrub? It should have taken you a sixth of that amount excluding your railings....

3 0 Reply
ransom

Sep 13, 2014 #869577

It was almost certainly because your deck was not properly prepared. Behr has excellent paint, it's always top rated in Consumer reports.
No, I do not work for Behr paint or anyone who sells it.

3 5 Reply
EA

Sep 23, 2014 #874258

If you did not actually use the "Deck Over", why are you commenting? I used the product on a friends (covered) deck about two years ago and so far it looks good. My neighbor used it and his peeled. Both in upstate NY with well below freezing temps in winter. Many people have had peeling. I would like to read some reviews from professionals who have used the product.

4 10 Reply
Ken

Jun 28, 2015 #1000794 Lehighton, Pennsylvania, United States

Our deck is also peeling and would not recommend this product to any of my friends.
For the money we spent on this Deck Over and we are very disapointed with it. I always
trusted Behr and thought they had High Quality products but not anymore. They should
help people that have this peeling problem with a solution.

3 0 Reply

Jul 06, 2015 #1004042 Jackson, New Jersey, United States

i have to say that we followed the directions to the letter and had a similar result. Our deck has been peeling without even putting furniture on it. This was a new, but seasoned deck, clean, dry, perfect weather conditions. even the top rail and the pergola have bare spots. It is very strange. and disappointing. I'm glad, u/ransom, that you had a better experience. We've had fine results with their interior paint. It's just this Deck Over, sheesh!

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Behr. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Behr.
Filing a new complaint about
×